ARC-C Racist Incident Response Protocols
To promote anti-racist practices, our steering committee has researched, discussed, and adopted the following protocols for responding to racially motivated incidents in the community, including graffiti.
- Photograph graffiti to archive as evidence of an incident.
- Respond immediately with support of individuals or the community at whom graffiti/hate is directed.
- Notify village or town officials. Request investigation. Request affirmation of town and village commitment to anti-hate resolutions and to community building and repair.
- Remove graffiti (this should be done by law enforcement or local officials).
- Respond with wider support of communities who are affected by graffiti/hate speech. Do outreach to larger community through Facebook and ARC-C email community or other community means/events.
- Request post of hate speech crimes in the police blotter with a note about what to do when hate speech is seen.
- Request post on the Village and Town websites and in the newspaper with a note about what to do when you see hate speech.